I have been a little hesitant to make this post as I was scared it might jinx us but after almost 6 weeks I think I am safe to day we have a potty trained little boy!!! Horray!! We are so beyond proud of him and this huge step! And when I say potty trained I want to stress our son has not had a potty accident in 6 weeks! Not one! It is so crazy because I have been training him for a year and have tried everything under the sun when it comes to potty training. Dr. Phil's potty training book-read it. Potty train your child in one day-read it. Potty training boys the easy way-read it. I have read numerous articles, talked to several Mom's in the same boat, tried rewards, tried bribes, tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. Potty training weekend boot camp-didn't work. Filling him full of liquids-didn't work. The list goes on and on. Don't get me wrong, this has not been a power struggle. He has never once fought me and would sit on the toilet any time I asked him too. He just wouldn't go. Or he would have an accident and it didn't bother him. I tried going cold turkey and putting him in underwear about 6 months ago and that turned against me as he had accidents and it didn't phase him. I have worlds of patience but this was starting to wear me thin. I couldn't understand why nothing was working. So I decided to go cold turkey again. And this time it worked!! It is so crazy as I did not explain anything to him and just put him in underwear. He has run errands for several hours, took trips to Monkey Joe's, the zoo and the museum and no accidents! I am truly amazed. We are still working on #2 but he is going in the toilet and has several times so for now I am going to just be super happy with how far we have come. We were doing stickers and different small incentives but it has become such second nature to him now that all of that has somewhat faded and he just knows it is an expectation. For anyone reading this that has been, will be or knows someone in the same boat, I am going to stress that they will do it when they are ready. Who cares if so and so's kid was trained at 2. I think I let that bother me so much and put so much pressure on myself and Brody that he HAD to do this NOW. I really wish I would have just let him go at his own pace instead of forcing it as I think it would have been so much easier on the both of us. It is funny because I remember asking my doctor at his 2 year appointment when I should start. She said honestly that boys are very immature in this area and to not even really begin trying until almost 3 and a half. She said that many boys train before then but there is something in their brains that makes it hard for them to potty train. I remember leaving there thinking I would have him trained in 6 months. LOL
No comments:
Post a Comment