Two weeks ago we were very lucky to get a special visit from Papa Mike and Grandma Debbie. Brody was so excited for weeks leading up to their visit that he asked me everyday when they were coming. The kids had a wonderful time with their Grandparents and it was very hard for us to say goodbye. It is difficult to explain to a 3 year old why they are only here for a short time and that they have to go back home. He asks everyday where they went and when he will see them again. We had lots of fun with them, including bringing them to our art class so Brody could show them off. Such a fun time!
Winter has definitely hit us and it was so bitterly cold last week with temps below zero that the kids and I stayed home for a few days. We even skipped art class on Friday morning because it was 26 below. I felt awful missing it but just didn't feel it was wise to go out if we didn't have to. We were able to get out and play a little as the week got warmer so that was good to help us burn off some energy.
Brody is turning into quite the little pretender these days! It is so fun to watch and I have tried to video tape him a few times without him realizing but he always catches me. He loves to play store and kitchen and of course play with his cars. He recently has started "writing" letters and asked me for some envelopes so he can "mail" them. He takes them to the "post office" and brings me the receipt! He has also taken an interest in caring for Briana's baby dolls-giving them baths, feeding them and taking them with him to the store. I plan daily lessons for him of learning activities at the table and various craft/art activities. Getting him to sit is not always easy but he is getting better. A big focus right now is writing his name and cutting. He is asking all the time what letter things start with and makes compairisons on his own of other words he knows that begin with certain letters. His speech continues to come along well and he is learning new words all the time and putting new ideas into words everyday. His memory is amazing, I know that will be so beneficial to him in school, especially in the older grades. He is so sweet and loving and still loves his cuddle time with Mom and Dad which we love so much. He invites us to play with him all the time and is so creative in his play.
Briana is as fiesty as ever. :) She is such a sweet little thing but definitely continues to prefer things her way and her way only. She is such a good listener, I am amazed by how well she listens to what we ask her to do. It is funny in a way because honestly she listens much better than her over 3 and a half year old brother! I'm sure with time it will fade but for now she is doing great. She loves to help and is always cleaning up toys and trying to do things around the house. She tests her limits with certain things that she knows is wrong but that comes with the 1 year old territory for sure. She has shown some interest in the potty and I can't believe I am going to write this but she went POTTY on it last week!!!! Now this may be a fluke and not happen again for a long time but after the struggle we have had with a little boy I will take this little progress as a huge accomplishment. I am going to buy her a princess potty this month so she feels like it is just hers and we will go from there. If there is one thing I learned from Brody I am not going to push this. She will go when she wants and when she is ready. There is no sense in making a big deal out of it this time. Briana is picking up words left and right. She is consistently saying: Mama, Mommy, Dada, Up, Uh-oh, Baby, Babba (Brody), Addie, NO, Bye-Bye, More, Yes, Yeah and Mmm (milk). She will shake her head yes or no in response to questions also. She understands everything we say and will go to a certain place when we say it is time to get ready for something. She turned 18 months old yesterday, time sure does fly.
50 degrees yesterday!
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment